At the NAB convention today, my friend, Norm Poehlke, a former pastor in Calgary and now a Vice President with the North American Baptist Conference of churches, presented six items that must exist in order for a gathering of people to be considered truly a church. These items, Norm termed, are the "irreducible core." I think they present a great launching pad for discussion and consideration about what makes up a church. And when you add "obedience to God's will" to this irreducible core, the result, Norm suggests, is the muliplication of churches. What do you think?
1. Confession of Christ
2. Love God (Greatest Commandment)
3. Love Others (2nd Greatest Commandment)
4. Live in Community (or "Love One Another" – New Command)
5. Make Disciples (Great Commission)
6. In Partnership with the Holy Spirit