It is never a bad thing for a pastor to be reminded of some very solid principles that would have been useful to know the first few years of launching into a life of "ministry". From time to time I pick up Doug Field's book, Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry (Zondervan, 2002), in order to remember again many of the time-tested truths of being a "lifer" in the roller-coaster world of pastoral careers. Here are Doug's Top Ten Youth Ministry Commitments that he suggests as essentials to starting well and, actually, are the foundation to continuing well on the journey:
1. I will move slowly.
2. I will regularly check my motives and evaluate my heart.
3. I will steer clear of the numbers game.
4. I will not criticize the past.
5. I will avoid the comparison trap.
6. I will focus on priorities.
7. I will pace myself.
8. I will serve.
9. I will be a learner.
10. I will pursue contentment.